Essential Skincare Routine for Dry Skin
Have you experienced flaky, itchy, dehydrated, and dull skin?
Having dry skin can be frustrating but managing it doesn’t have to be. We’re sharing an easy-to-follow skincare routine and tips on how to deal with this skin type.
What causes dry skin?
Dry skin can be exacerbated by internal factors such as genetics, as well as external factors including the environment, exposure to irritants, and excessive face washing.
Key ingredients to look out for in skincare for dry skin:
- Hyaluronic acid adds a layer of hydration to the skin that provides soft and plumper skin. Hyaluronic acid is also a natural substance in your body that diminishes with age, so it’s vital to replenish it in your daily routine.
- Glycerin is another effective ingredient that hydrates and softens the skin.
- Niacinamide balances skin texture, brightens skin tone, and reduces inflammation.
- Ceramides help to restore the natural skin barrier and seal in moisture.
Step-by-step guide to dry skin:
Use a hydrating cleanser that isn’t harsh on the skin surface. Certain cleansers can be too drying and may strip your skin of its natural oils. The type of cleanser you use will vary depending on your skin’s moisture levels and sensitivity.
Follow up with an alcohol-free toner to restore your skin’s pH balance, exfoliate, and prep your skin for the rest of your regimen. A glycerin or hyaluronic acid toner would work best for dryness.
Serums are a great way to include active ingredients in your routine to target specific skin concerns. Choose a lightweight serum that best suits your skin’s needs.
The skin around your eyes is very delicate and it's the first area to show signs of aging so it needs a bit more TLC. Look for creams/serums that are rich in antioxidants.
This is the most important step in your routine! Dry skin requires a richer moisturizer that can deeply penetrate your skin barrier. Lock in hydration with a moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid, glycerin, niacinamide, and ceramides.
Include a facial oil in your routine to add extra hydration.
Bulan and Matahari are extremely moisturizing and soothing oils with an array of antioxidants that shield the skin from environmental aggressors (ie. pollution).
No matter the skin type, it’s vital to protect your skin against harmful UV rays with SPF. We recommend using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily.
- Don’t be afraid to exfoliate! People with dry skin might want to avoid exfoliants because they can be drying. Go for gentle exfoliants once a week to remove dead skin buildup and improve your complexion.
- Invest in a humidifier. Adding a bit of moisture in the air will help keep your skin balanced during the colder seasons or when you’re blasting the AC in your house.
- Use a facial mist. A portable facial mist can be a lifesaver when you’re out and your skin feels like it needs a little boost.
Written by: Anna Ky